Girl, 9, who was burned by a sparkler during wedding celebration is warning people of dangers

GLADSTONE, Mo. - Sparklers are a Fourth of July favorite, as well as a new tradition for exciting pictures at weddings. However, a 9-year-old Gladstone, Mo., girl is telling other children and adults that sparklers are dangerous.

Hunter Allen was injured last May when a sparkler caught her dress on fire at her uncle's wedding. She was a flower girl in the wedding.

"It was windy, and this lady had a sparkler," Hunter said. "She walked by me and my dress was on fire."

Hunter had burns on her left arm, her back and on her neck. She also suffered smoke inhalation. She was in the Pediatric Burn Unit at Children's Mercy Hospital for seven days.

Christi Cassidy, an LPN in the burn unit helped take care of Hunter. 

"I do not like the Fourth of July, because I know children are going to get hurt with fireworks," Cassidy explained.

The burn unit nurse said she sees the pain children suffer and the trauma to families.

"If  people could see what these kids go through, I think more parents would not let their kids play with fireworks or at least the parents would watch a little closer while their children are using fireworks," explained Cassidy.

She recommends adult supervision and highly recommends that people attend professional fireworks displays.

Hunter's Mom, Jamika, appeared on 41 Action News Midday on Thursday to warn other parents.

"I don't want any other parent to see their child suffer because of fireworks. It's just not worth it," Allen concluded.

To find out more about burn safety, visit the Children's Mercy website, http://bit.ly/11knbcd.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments