KC man spreads awareness about breast cancer among men

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Don Rogers of Kansas City, Mo., has a life-story that's different from most men.  He told his story on Tuesday on 41 Action News Midday with Cynthia Newsome.

Rogers is a breast cancer survivor.  Only 1 percent of all breast cancer cases are men; the other 99 percent are women.

"I never even thought about breast cancer," Rogers said.  "So when I hit my breast against a table and felt a sharp pain, I thought, ‘Oh it's probably nothing.'"

But Roger's wife Linda insisted that he go to the hospital and the rest is history.

"The test revealed that I had breast cancer.  After a mastectomy of his left breast and 15 lymph nodes, along with chemotherapy, I'm still here," he said.

Rogers' story was featured in 2012 in a daily devotional book by Unity called, Daily Word.  He loves sharing his story with other men. 

"Cancer to me is translated, I can certainly be the child of God I am meant to be, I can certainly overcome any health challenge and I can certainly experience absolute good," Rogers said.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments