KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Downtown Kansas City can be a traffic headache during a big event, but add in a host of street closures and the grid becomes an absolute mess.
Motorists looking for an easy access to events in and around the Sprint Center and the Power & Light District could try to use exits off the downtown loop (local tip: avoid 12th Street heading east into the Power & Light and Main Street in the heart of downtown).
Tournament fans looking to score that ultimate parking spot can check out The Convention and Visitor’s Bureau website for a map of downtown streets and parking options .
The bureau has provided the following tournament street closure information:
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th Street and Truman Road): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 10, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 16.
- 14th Street (between Walnut Street and Grand Boulevard): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 10, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 16.
- Walnut Street (between 13th and 14th streets): closed starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 11, through midnight on Sunday, March 16.
- 14th Street (between Walnut Street and Main Street): closed starting at 8 a.m. on Thursday, March 13, through midnight on Friday, March 14.
On Saturday, there will be additional closures for the Big 12 5K Fun Run and Family Stroll:
- 13th Street (between Grand Boulevard and Oak Street)
- Oak Street (between 13th and 18th streets)
- 18th Street (between Oak Street and Grand Boulevard)
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th and 17th streets and between 18th Street and Pershing Road)
- Pershing Road (between Grand Boulevard and W Pennway Street)
- W Pennway Street/Broadway Boulevard (between Pershing Road and 20th Street)
- 20th Street (between Broadway Boulevard and Southwest Boulevard)
- Southwest Boulevard (between 20th Street and Wyandotte Street)
- Wyandotte Street (between Southwest Boulevard and 16th Street)
- 16th Street (between Wyandotte Street and Grand Boulevard)