1. Visit the oldest fair west of the Mississippi - The Platte County fair celebrates its 150th anniversary this weekend in Platte City with a carnival, a petting zoo, live music and much more. The gates open from 5 p.m. - 11 p.m. on Friday and from 9 a.m. - 11 p.m. on Saturday; daily admission is $10 and kids 12 and under get in free. Click here for a schedule and more information | http://bit.ly/18DuYlh
2. Cheer on the Chiefs at training camp- On most summer weekends, Kansas City Chiefs' players endure blazing triple-digit heat indexes as they prepare for the next NFL regular season in St. Joseph. However, the 41 Action Weather team expects highs in the mid 70s this weekend for the start of training camp. The first practice begins at 3:30 p.m. on Friday and admission is $5; parking costs $5. On Saturday and Sunday, practices begin at 8:15 a.m. and admission is free, fans just have to pay for parking. Click here for the schedule and more information | http://bit.ly/1bOyuZk
3. See an outdoor movie at Crown Center - A showing of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" caps off the "WeekEnder," a Friday night event at Crown Center. The fun begins at 5 p.m. with live music and food carts. Click here for more information | http://bit.ly/14QVEzW
4. See the end of the Fringe Festival in the Crossroads District - This weekend marks the end of the live music, theater, comedy, poetry reading, independent film and other artsy activity that has taken over the Crossroads District. View the schedule and more information here | http://bit.ly/131LWYX
5. Watch "The Sandlot" at Community America Ballpark - This film has been a summer "must-see" since it came out in 1993. As part of a 20th anniversary tour, David Mickey Evans, the director and narrator of the film, will throw out the first pitch at the Kansas City T-Bones game on Friday. There will be a screening of the film after the game. Click here for tickets and to see other other promotions planned for this weekend | http://bit.ly/sxeKS
6. Listen to a country crooner in the Crossroads District - Josh Turner, a country artist known for songs like "Long Black Train" and "Would You Go With Me" plays Friday at Crossroads KC at Grinders. Click here for tickets and more information | http://bit.ly/12W5roD
7. See the next All-Star craze in Kansas City - Kansas City is home again to all-star fun, and this time soccer fans will take notice. Throughout the weekend, fans can enjoy a variety of events prepping for the All-Star game at the Power and Light District and in KCK, including a 5K Sunday and a watch party for Sporting Kansas City's game against Montreal on Saturday. Click here to see the schedule of All-Star events | http://bit.ly/13BfHQx
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
As a salute to Kansas City veterans, the National Airline History Museum is offering free flights to WWII veterans on a C-47 that flew during the war.