Bastille Day is right around the corner. Mimi's Cafe shared their recipe for Pain Perdu to help celebrate the holiday on July 14. The decadent dish is like French toast on steroids.
6 oz. low fat Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Orange Marmalade
6 pieces of thing sliced egg bread
French Toast Batter Ingredients
3/4 cup milk or cream
¼ cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Zest of 1/4 Orange
Unsalted butter for griddle pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix cream cheese and marmalade with a mixer or spoon until blended together
3. Take 2 slices of bread per serving, and spread a thick layer of Cream Cheese mixture to center of a slice of bread. Top with another slice of bread to sandwich the mixture
4. Mix ingredients of batter together. Dip each "sandwich" into the batter and let soak for 10 minutes
5. Heat large sauté pan over medium high heat and add butter. Grill until golden on each side.
6. Transfer to a pan and place in oven, 10-seconds, until cooked through and custardy in the middle
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.