The folks at Capitol Grille share a recipe that will be featured at Diamond of Dreams Thursday at Kauffman Stadium.
Bread, French Baguette, Sliced ½” thick 36 each
Heirloom Tomatoes, seeded & cubed ¼” dice 1 lb.
Mozzarella Cheese, fresh, cubed ¼” dice 1 lb.
Shallots, finely minced, rinsed ½ Cup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil ¼ Cup
Kosher Salt 1 tsp.
Black Pepper, freshly ground ¼ tsp.
Basil, chopped ¼” 2 Tbsp.
Aged Balsamic ¼ Cup
1) Slice the French bread into ½” thick rounds and toast in the Dutch oven until golden brown.
2) Place the minced shallots in a china cap and rinse under very hot water for five minutes.
3) In a stainless bowl, combine the diced seeded tomato, fresh mozzarella cheese, rinsed shallots and extra virgin olive oil. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
4) Place 1 heaping tablespoon of tomato mixture on each slice of toasted French bread.
5) Place sheet pan in oven and bake at 400° F until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are hot.
6) Drizzle each slice with aged balsamic and sprinkle with fresh chopped basil.
7) Serve Immediately.
©2007 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.