KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Was it you?
Somebody in Missouri (and another in Arizona) bought a winning ticket to Wednesday night's Powerball drawing. The jackpot ws worth an estimated $579.9 million.
The odds were against you . Just one in 175,223,510, to be exact, but that doesn’t mean it COULDN’T happen.
The Missouri winner could accept a lump-sum payout of about $189.9 million, which is subject to a 25% federal tax and state taxes of four percent, for a check of about $134,829,000
A look at the 10 biggest lottery jackpots in Missouri and Kansas history reveal a long list of brand new millionaires made by Powerball.
In Missouri, the 10 biggest winfalls in state history all came via Powerball drawings, with the biggest being $258.5 million in April, 2010. Wednesday's Powerball should top that, with an estimated value of $289.55 million for the Missouri winner.
The Kansas City area hasn’t had a Missouri side Powerball winner that ranks in the Top 10 state jackpots since 1999, when Grandview native Regina Dreiling won $47 million.
In Kansas, the metro hasn’t had a Top 10 Powerball winner since the mid-90s, but a Franklin County resident did share a portion of the record Mega Millions jackpot in March of this year, taking home an annuity value of $218.6 million. The ticket was bought in Ottawa.
Kansas is one of just a handful of states that does not require lottery winners to reveal their identities, so the Franklin County resident who won in March remains anonymous.
Missouri is not one of the states who allow confidentiality when claiming a lottery prize. Christopher Shaw, of Marshall, took home an annuity value of $258.5 million in that April, 2010 Powerball drawing.
Here’s a look at the 10 biggest lottery prizes ever in each state.
MISSOURI – All prizes from Powerball
1. Christopher Shaw, Marshall, $258.5 million, April 21, 2010
2. The Wilson family, St. Louis, $254 million, Jan. 24, 2007
3. Lucky 13 State Workers, Florissant, $224.2 million, April 12, 2006
4. Bill and Claudia Walkenbach, Hermann, $130.6 million, July 9, 2003
5. Jerry Sue Huellewig, St. Charles, $69 million, Nov. 25, 1995
6. Robert and Linda Burns, Centerview, $61.9 million, May 30, 2001
7. Rose McLeod, Blue Springs, $55 million, Feb. 25, 1998
8. Gary and Bev Ruff, Overland, $50 million, March 4, 2000
9. Regina Dreiling, Grandview, $47 million, May 1, 1999
10. Al and Candace Colorado, Kansas City, $43 million, Aug. 22, 1998
1. MEGA MILLIONS Franklin County Resident - March 30, 2012 - $218.6 Million
2. POWERBALL Donald Damon, Great Bend - November 2009 - $96.6 Million
3. POWERBALL 26 American Airlines Workers, Tulsa, Okla. - March 2000 - $50.0 Million (one-third of a $150 4. Million jackpot; 3 winning tickets)
5. LOTTO AMERICA MILLIONAIRES Dave Wagner, Dodge City - July 1990 - $35.0 Million
6. POWERBALL Pat Dreiling, Manhattan - September 1995 - $31.2 MillioN
7. POWERBALL Mary Ann Bowles, Wichita - June 1996 - $26.5 Million
8. LOTTO AMERICA MILLIONAIRES Edwin Frahm, Burchard, Neb. - June 1990 - $23.1 Million
9. POWERBALL Felix Kane, Gardner - May 1994 - $22.5 Million
10. POWERBALL Lois Hampton, Olathe - October 1994 - $20.9 Million
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Money Headlines
Security experts say passwords for more than 2 million Facebook, Google, Yahoo and other accounts have been compromised and circulated online.