There's a delicious way to fight the battle against cancer and it all has to do with what you eat.
"The world of food, when we're talking about real food is loaded with a plethora of benefits." said celebrity nutritionist and Chef Christine Avanti.
She says there are eight foods in particular that can help fight cancer.
1. Garlic: "Being Italian, I use garlic in almost everything except desserts,” Avanti said. “It has these sulfuric compounds that actually fight-off cancer producing cells."
2. Asparagus: Another veggie that helps in the battle against cancer is asparagus, according to Avanti. "Asparagus is high in the B vitamin called Folate. Eat more asparagus and you're gonna reduce the risk of colon, ovarian and certain types of breast cancers."
3. Artichokes. They can help keep your heart healthy -- but they can tackle cancer too."You can take it, steam it, boil it, roast it." Avanti said. "Artichoke is loaded with a flavanoid, it's also known as an antioxidant called querstin. It actually kills cancer causing carcinogens. There was a recent study and red onions and shallots came out at the highest for cancer-fighting compounds. Chop up shallots, put 'em in a sauce, you can slice up red onion, throw it in a salad.”
4 & 5. Broccoli and tomato: Together, they are said to have a positive health effect, Avanti said."It's so simple to incorporate it into your diet. Soups, salads, omelets scrambled, even stir-fry. Don't be afraid to combine the two.”
6. Cabbage. It fights off certain forms of breast cancer. When you ferment cabbage, it actually boosts its cancer-fighting potential."
7. Corn: It can help prevent colon cancer
8. Pistachios: Recent research has shown that Resviritrol -- found in pistachios -- may actually reduce the risk of certain cancers, Avanti said. “And don't forget Resviritrol is that great antioxidant we also find in grapes an in wine."
Two fitness instructors at Sky Zone Indoor Trampoline Park in Shawnee, Kan., believe fitness is the key to a healthy and happy life.