KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Authorities released surveillance images of a suspect in last year’s explosion at a Kansas City landmark restaurant and announced a $5,000 reward in the case.
At a press conference Tuesday morning at the Hereford House, 2 E. 20th St., members of the ATF, Kansas City Fire Department and Kansas City Police Department announced the latest developments in the case.
No motive was discussed for the Oct. 20 fire, but investigators said gasoline was used to start blaze, which ignited a violent explosion and left the building mostly destroyed.
The man in the picture was described only as a middle-aged white male and officials said no suspects have been named and no one is in custody.
“We are 100 percent confident that this person was involved in starting this fire,” said Tom Atterbery who is an ATF assistant special agent.
Atterberry said the man did not act alone. He added that the suspect was able to get past security systems with no alarm going off and was seen inside and outside of the restaurant the night of the fire.
“Could he have been a patron here? I don't know,” said Atterberry.
Investigators in October said the explosion was indeed a criminal act but had released little information since then.
The restaurant remains closed. Officials with the restaurant said they planned to rebuild.
Atteberry said the owners were initially cooperative in the investigation but have since acquired legal counsel and have not spoken with investigators.
We contacted the owner, Rod Anderson. Those calls were not returned.
If you know anything about the fire, call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.
Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.