KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Authorities evacuated 21 children and four adults from the Kiddie Kastle Child Care Center at 6000 Leavenworth Rd.
Teachers told firefighters there was a strong gas smell and many of the kids were complaining of being sleepy and nauseous, according to Deputy Fire Chief Craig Duke.
Fire crews took the kids to a nearby bank and began evaluating, and six kids between the ages of one and nine were taken to an area hospital for further screening. None were in serious condition, Duke said.
Fire crews believed the leak came from a generator that came from a store next door to the Kiddie Kastle. Code enforcement was called to the scene because authorities said the generator was a violation of the city's building codes.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.