OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - An Overland Park, Kan., apartment fire left eight families homeless early Sunday morning.
Investigators believe careless smoking on a second floor deck and the dry conditions are to blame for the original blaze.
Fire crews were back on the scene late Sunday afternoon after the debris briefly started smoldering. They were able to quickly contain it.
"We've got conditions right now that are really, really dangerous for fire," said Overland Park Fire Department spokesman Jason Rhodes. "That why we're asking people not to do recreational fire" until conditions improve.
Crews were called to the Waterford Place apartments near 107th Terrace and King around 4 a.m. Sunday.
Flames were shooting from the rooftop as Overland Park firefighters attacked the blaze. The and Olathe Fire Departments were called in to assist them.
Thanks to the combined efforts of all three departments, firefighters were able to get the fire under control. In all, 16 apartments were damaged and eight were destroyed.
The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced families that need a place to live.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Kansas Board of Regents has approved tuition increases at public universities that will have some students paying nearly 9 percent more this fall.