KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Authorities have closed the area of E 53rd Street and Norton Avenue in Kansas City, Mo., because of an apparent gas leak caused by a copper theft.
Firefighters on the scene said somebody was cutting copper out of Chick Elementary, and it fell onto a gas main, which then began leaking. They said the main leaked a month's worth of gas. Authorities said the area appears to be safe, but they are going to have to let the gas dissipate on its own. They said if something sparked in the area, the school would likely go up in flames.
Chick Elementary is closed. Authorities evacuated several homes in the immediate area of the leak, but expected those evacuations to be lifted by mid-morning.
Crews from Missouri Gas and Energy and Kansas City Power & Light are on the scene.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A growing number of people are calling for Missouri Commissioner of Education Chris Nicastro to resign after e-mails were made public outlining her plan to rebuild KCPS.