KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A dog found Monday in the attic of a burned out, condemned home in Kansas City will have to have her leg amputated.
City workers were checking the house in the 3000 block of Askew Avenue for asbestos when they found the pitbull mix in the attic. The dog was malnourished, frightened and had a serious injury on her right front leg.
The workers called Kansas City animal control. She was taken to the KC Pet Project, where veterinarians named the dog Ingrid. She's believed to be around 2 years old.
Tori Fugate, media relations for KC Pet Project, said Ingrid’s injury appears to be very old and there’s not much they can do right now.
“From here, she’ll go to a foster home where they will give her a quiet and comfortable place to recover and gain some weight,” she said.
After Ingrid is well enough for surgery, veterinarians will have to amputate her leg. That could be within two to four weeks.
“When she heals, she’ll be able to go to a forever home,” Fugate said.
To donate to the KC Pet project, visit their website: http://www.kcpetproject.org
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.