KANSAS CITY, Mo. - In his first comments, the Baby Lisa mystery phone man said he has “no connection” to the missing baby, but he and his father acknowledge he did have the phone that received a call from one of the missing Irwin phones.
Police have said he is not a suspect, so we are not identifying him by his last name.
“The truth will rise to the top,” the mystery phone man, Dane said. “I have no connection with Megan Wright or the missing child.”
The NBC Action News Investigators spoke to the man’s father on the family’s front porch and exchanged text messages by phone with Dane.
A woman with whom he was in a relationship accused the man of threatening to kill her in a restraining order issued in September.
“Every day I have been scared and terrified to go home at night,” the victim told the court in a written statement. He says he has nothing to lose and he’ll be satisfied once I’m dead.”
The man declined to answer follow up questions, specifically whether he answered the 11:57 p.m. call the night Baby Lisa disappeared.
“Every day I have been scared and terrified to go home at night,” the victim told the court in a written statement. "He says he has nothing to lose and he’ll be satisfied once I’m dead.”
“Sure he did have the phone, yeah,” said the man’s father in a brief exchange with the NBC Action News Investigators. “He was at the house (where the phone’s owner lived). I’ll give you that.”
Dane said he had been out of town hunting until yesterday, but had been interviewed by police before that.
“The police have contact with me and have so the whole past month,” Dane texted. “I just hope we can focus the important point of finding the missing child.”
“I used Megan’s cell phone to have my phone turned on and some rides lined up for the next days of moving into my new place,” Dane texted.
Megan Wright, the owner of the phone that received the call the night Baby Lisa disappeared, is Dane’s former roommate.
She had a onetime relationship with a handyman who worked in the neighborhood who is now in jail on unrelated charges.
“Why don’t you investigate the girl, and her boyfriend,” Dane’s father said. “You guys are like taking this girl’s word for everything. “
“I’m just being thrown in a mix of people trying to push blame off of themselves to keep face,” Dane texted the NBC Action News Investigators. “It’s sad my name could be involved in something so heartbreaking.”
Dane declined to answer specific questions or to meet in person.
“I contacted the police and they said not to contact you,” Dane texted. “It only feeds the media frenzy of lies. I’m a good person who has been thrown in a mess of lies and finger pointing.”
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest Local News
Organizers say two million people marched in protest against seed giant Monsanto in hundreds of rallies across the U.S. and in over 50 other countries on Saturday.