KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man died early Tuesday in a house fire in Kansas City.
The Kansas City Fire Department was called a little before 2 am. to 7113 101st Terrace.
The victim, identified only as an 80-year-old man, was found in a hallway near a bedroom, authorities on scene told 41 Action News.
The fire started on the in the rear of the house near the kitchen and garage. Firefighters said “lots of items to burn in the house" intensified the blaze and hindered crews' entry into the home.
Kansas City Fire Marshal Floyd Peoples said, "In the fire fight the more stuff that's in the home that's more stuff that can burn so there is a danger there. But homes that are organized, its not a big deal. It's when they become disorganized and we're trying to find somebody."
Investigators said the house did not have any working smoke detectors.
41 Action News Reporter Sarah Hollenbeck will have live updates throughout the morning on 41 Action News Today beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
As the temperatures drop local police are issuing an important warning to drivers: once you start your car, don’t leave it unattended.