KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Officials ordered an evacuation of Northeast High School in Kansas City, Mo., after the smell of gas was detected, but a search of the building found no gas leak inside.
Crews from the Kansas City Fire Department were called to the school, 415 Van Brunt Blvd., a little before 7:30 a.m.
Authorities did find a small leak somewhere outside the building though, according to the Kansas City Fire Department.
That leak was capped and the fire department has since cleared the scene.
A spokesman with Kansas City Public Schools said he didn’t know of any gas leak and thought the source of the smell was dry ice that had been buried near the building.
Students were moved to a nearby parking lot and then into the middle school next door.
By about 8:15 a.m., students and staff were being allowed back into the building.
There were no reports of any injuries or illnesses.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.