OLATHE, Kan. - The Olathe Fire Department demonstrated how dangerous even a sparkler can be after the city banned personal fireworks displays this Fourth of July.
Last year, at least 191 firework-related injuries were reported across Kansas, and the city wants to make sure those shooting off fireworks outside city limits do so in a safe way.
The department shot off several fireworks and shared that a sparkler can burn up to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit, easily burning the children who enjoy the popular firework.
The National Council On Fireworks Safety is also urging people to be careful while celebrating, especially because of the dry conditions Missouri and Kansas are experiencing.
Nancy Blogin, the council’s president, met with 41 Action News at Honest John’s, her fireworks stand in Riverside.
“I've instructed everyone to have water on their lawn, not just on The Fourth, but several days before,” Blogin said.
The council asked those celebrating to place discarded fireworks in a metal container, wet the container down and to leave it outside overnight.
Blogin said those putting on personal fireworks displays should tell vendors how big of a space they will be using to ensure the fireworks they purchase are compatible with the amount of space they have.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Despite steadily rising gas prices, AAA says more people in Kansas and Missouri will hit the road and drive to a holiday destination compared to the rest of the U.S.