KANSAS CITY, Kan. - There was an emotional gathering here Sunday night, as family and friends got together to remember a girl who died after becoming trapped in a fiery house last week.
Four-year-old Sh’mere Jackson died in the fire on Greeley Avenue the previous weekend.
On Sunday, her parents sent out a special thank you to the firefighter who went into the burning home to try to pull her out.
Her father held back tears as he talked about his daughter.
"Everybody around here is everybody that she's touched in their life,” he said. “I mean she's never found a stranger. She was a loving … she was …”
The firefighter who tried to save the girl suffered burns in the blaze.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.