President Barack Obama addresses a group at the Richard and Norma Small Multi-Sports Center Gym at Cornell College on October 17, 2012 in Mount Vernon, Iowa.
Photographer: David Greedy/Getty Images
Copyright Getty Images
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. HOW OBAMA IS WIELDING EXECUTIVE POWER NOW
His campaign slogan `Forward' is springing to life in a surge of executive actions.
2. BIG REWARD KEEPS HEAT ON FUGITIVE COP
LAPD offers $1M for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, suspected in three killings.
3. MUMFORD & SONS SURPRISE WINNER FOR ALBUM OF THE YEAR GRAMMY
"Babel" won the top prize while The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach took home four trophies.
4. STORMS SLAM HATTIESBURG, MISS.
The campus of the University of Southern Mississippi suffered significant damage.
5. WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THE SNOWED-IN NORTHEAST
Rain and warmer temps could add to risk that roofs might collapse.
6. ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS MENACE NORTHERN MALI AGAIN
Armed with automatic rifles, they launch surprise attack on Gao two weeks after French and Malian troops ousted jihadists.
7. THE CRITICAL TRANSITION FOR NEW US COMMANDER IN AFGHANISTAN
Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford must orchestrate the withdrawal of foreign forces over next 23 months.
8. RUBIO LOOKS TO FILL GOP LEADERSHIP VACUUM
Florida senator casts himself as evangelist of a modern, inclusive party that welcomes minorities.
9. US LAWMAKERS VOICE CONCERN ABOUT DRONE STRIKES
Even some of the president's allies suggest an uneasiness when the program targets Americans abroad.
10. WHY YOU'LL FIND THE YANKEES PRESIDENT AT DOG SHOW
Randy Levine, co-owner of Mitch, a 5-year-old yellow Lab, says: "He's like Derek Jeter. Very calm."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Host committees from Kansas City and at least a dozen other major cities across the country now know exactly what it will take to land the 2016 Republican National Convention.