SHAWNEE, Kan. - A Shawnee couple and their three dogs are homeless after a house fire.
The couple received a call at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday that their house was on fire.
Fire officials said smoke could be seen coming from home on west 78th Street from miles away.
The woman's mother, who declined to give her name, said her daughter and son-in-law had lived in the home with their three dogs for nearly five years.
"During the initial attack, the owners' dog ran back into the house. It didn't go very far, and firefighters were able to make a quick rescue of that dog," said Eric Ramsey, division chief with Lenexa Fire Department.
The dogs are expected to be OK.
The mother said the couple was doing work inside the home. They were currently working to finish the basement, and having several areas of the home re-painted.
Fire officials said crews were inside when the fire started.
"We believe at this time, it probably had to do with some painting or finish work that was being done inside. The crews were inside when the fire began," Ramsey said.
The home is worth about $400,000.
The home, and most of the contents inside are considered a total loss.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Kansas Neighborhood News
Like any city, Lawrence stands to lose a lot of if a tornado tears through. Now, city officials are working to improve their emergency plans to avoid a disaster like the one in Moore, Okla.