SHAWNEE, Kan. - The Shawnee Fire Department is warning residents to the higher fire risk due to the "tinder box" conditions.
The dry weather and extremely high temperatures have already caused Shawnee officials to issue a ban on all open burning.
The Fire Department has responded to three house and one apartment complex fire in less than a week due to the improper disposal of smoking material, and to an illegal charcoal grill on a wooden deck.
Disposing of smoking materials out vehicle windows is illegal.
Both the Fire Department and Police Officers will be keeping an eye out and issuing citations when appropriate.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.