OLATHE, Kan. - One person was critically injured in an Olathe house fire Friday afternoon.
Olathe firefighters were called out to the blaze in the 1400 block of N. Martway around 3:30 p.m. A man was rescued from the second floor of the home and taken to University of Kansas Hospital.
A cat was also saved from the flames and given oxygen at the scene.
The injured man has been identified as William Outhet, who is in his early 60s.
His daughter, Jamie Outhet, said she's grateful for the firefighters who saved him and his cat, Tigger.
"He was crying, and when I got him in my arms he stopped crying," she said of Tigger. "I'm just so happy he recognized me, and I was able to make that connection."
The family said they have working smoke detectors, but they worry Outhet might not have heard them because of some partial hearing loss.
Because of structural damage, firefighters were pulled out of the home to fight the fire from the outside. It took about one hour to contain.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Kansas Neighborhood News