INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Independence firefighters rescued a 3-year-old child from a burning house Monday morning.
The child was trapped in a bedroom by heavy smoke when crews arrived at the house near South 44th and Osage streets.
Firefighters rushed inside and carried the child to safety, fire officials told 41 Action News.
The child did not appear injured, but was taken to a hospital as a precaution. A second child that was inside the home was also taken to the hospital.
Smoke detectors woke the child's mother, who was sleeping in another bedroom with two other children.
They were able to get out, but were unable to get back to the child because of the thick smoke, a fire official said.
The fire cause is listed as accidental. It is believed to have started in a dryer.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Missouri Neighborhood News
Two members of a Navy dive unit are facing involuntary manslaughter and dereliction-of-duty charges in the drowning deaths of two divers – including one from the Kansas City area.