LIBERTY, Mo. - A firefighter was injured, two people were rescued from the second floor and dozens of guests were displaced by a motel fire in Liberty Wednesday morning.
The fire started just after 3 a.m. at the Days Inn, 209 North 291 Highway.
Six area fire departments were called to battle the blaze, which was reported under control at 3:57 a.m.
The state fire marshal has arrived at the motel. One of the things he’s investigating is whether there were working smoke alarms at the motel.
All of the guests staying there who spoke with 41 Action News said they didn’t hear any fire alarms and were only woken up by people yelling and banging on doors.
Alison Faubion scooped up her 2-year-old son and bolted outside, leaving everything behind.
"He's my world,” Faubion said. “I don't know what I would do if something happened to him. We just want answers. Everyone is concerned what happened, how it happened and why alarms didn't go off."
The injured firefighter fell when a balcony at the hotel collapsed, Liberty Fire Department Chief Mike Snyder said..
“(He) was beginning to go to the main fire area of the building, was working towards that area when the balcony did collapse,” Snyder said. “He did fall to the first floor. He has been evaluated and is doing well.”
The two people rescued from the top floor were not hurt, according to authorities.
Amanda Bruce was staying at the motel with her husband and two children.
She says her husband woke her up when he saw the flames.
“He then opened the door and looked directly to the right of us and saw the building engulfed in flames,” Bruce said. “And just started shouting ‘get out, get out, get the kids out of the room. The hotel’s on fire.’”
That’s when instinct kicked in, she said.
"You just grab ‘em and go. Put them in the car,” Bruce said. “My husband is throwing things in bags and throwing them into the parking lot and I'm running to pick them up. We were salvaging the little we had with us."
Of the approximately 45 people displaced by the fire, the American Red Cross was assisting 33 people and was considering opening a temporary disaster shelter because many of them use the motel for long-term housing.
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Missouri Neighborhood News
A Liberty woman and her family were vacationing last week on the Gulf Coast when a small boy became trapped in a rip tide. What followed was a frantic effort to save the boy that took the life of a Johnson County, Kan., man.