LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Missouri (AP) - Aging electrical wiring installed decades ago on docks at the Lake of the Ozarks by people who didn't know what they were doing is getting a closer look after a trio of deaths this summer.
The Kansas City Star reports owners of lakefront properties are responsible for getting their docks inspected and any problems fixed. Inspectors say there is no shortage of high-voltage dangers around the lake because of lax oversight over the years and electrical work performed by novices.
In July, two children and a 26-year-old woman died over a four-day span at the popular southwest Missouri lake after coming into contact with electrically charged docks.
Neither permits nor electrical inspections were required for docks at the lake until 2006, and then only for new or refurbished ones.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Latest Missouri News
Officials in Joplin, Mo., have brought together a team of public safety employees they are sending to tornado-stricken Moore.