LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. - Improper wiring led to the electrocution deaths of two children at the Lake of the Ozarks on the Fourth of July, a Missouri State Highway Patrolman said.
The Patrol said 13-year-old Alexandra Anderson and her 8-year-old brother Brayden, both of Ashland, Mo., were shocked while swimming near a private dock at the 6.5 mile marker in the Gravois Arm around 12:05 p.m.
Patrol Sgt. Paul Reinsch said there was no ground fault interrupter to monitor the current and trip the electricity if there was a problem.
He said the electricity could have come from several sources, including a boat lift or a pump used to power a water slide.
After it was apparent the children were injured, several adults were able to get them out of the water and started performing CPR before emergency crews arrived. The siblings were then taken to Lake Regional Hospital in Osage Beach, where they were pronounced dead.
"The children screamed when the initial shock hit and when the adults dove in (to attempt rescue) they could feel the electricity in the water," Reinsch said. Then the adults turned off the electricity to the dock" before pulling the siblings out of the water and attempting CPR, Reinsch said.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol Marine Operations Division and the Division of Drug and Crime Control were investigating, and autopsies were planned, authorities said.
CNN & The Associated Press Contributed to this Report
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest Missouri News
A Christian sports camp network based in Branson is facing two lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of young male campers by an ex-director who is serving a long prison sentence for sexual abuse of boys.