KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The game doesn’t start until 3:10 p.m., but Opening Day at the K is an all-day event.
Here’s a look at some of the major events taking place Monday at Kauffman Stadium:
Stadium parking lots will open at 9 a.m. for tailgating. Gates into the stadium open at noon.
RELATED | Boulevard's beer brats debut at the K - http://tinyurl.com/bmmvc7e
Drum lines from Blue Valley High School and North Kansas City High School will be performing outside the gates and in the parking lots from noon to 2:00 p.m.
• Fans can enjoy free face painting and balloon art in the Outfield Experience. The artists will be located at Gates A and E from noon until the top of the second inning.
• The band Red Guitar will be performing at the Hy-Vee Cool Zone area inside Hy-Vee Gate B from 12:45 to 2:50 p.m.
• The Grain Valley High School Jazz Band will perform on the Outfield Experience Stage prior to the game.
• A pregame ceremony at 2:30 p.m. will include the recognition of former Kansas City Mayor Dr. Charles Wheeler as the Buck O’Neil Legacy Seat honoree, introduction of Royals alumni and a special video for the 40th anniversary of Kauffman Stadium.
• Jamie Splittorff, son of Royals Hall of Famer Paul Splittorff, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Royals Hall of Famer John Mayberry will catch.
• A league-wide moment of silence will honor the victims of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The moment of silence will also honor 10-year-old Luke Brisette, the Overland Park, Kan., boy killed last month when an arrival/departure sign fell on him at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport.
• A giant American flag will be presented by airmen from Whiteman Air Force Base.
• Belton native and 2012 X Factor winner Tate Stevens will sing the Star-Spangled Banner.
• Broadway performer Annie Edgerton will sing God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch.
• After the game, DH Billy Butler will be presented with his 2012 Silver Slugger Award and LF Alex Gordon will receive his Rawlings Gold Glove.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Baseball Photo Galleries
Click inside for a photo collection of all of MLB's mascots and to see which four teams currently don't have one.
The home opening for the Royals is a special day for fans in Kansas City. See photos of the festivities.
Monday's opening day at the K was the first opportunity for Royals' fans to get their ballpark fix. Check out these photos of tailgaters hanging out before Monday's game.
TripAdvisor has released a list of the 10 best ballparks in the United States, based on a popularity index among its users.