KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Police were called to a report of a hazmat incident at 712 Broadway in downtown Kansas City, Mo., Tuesday evening.
Authorities say a contractor working to install Google Fiber lines hit an underground chlorine storage unit to a hot tub where chlorine and other chemicals are stored.
A Google Fiber spokeswoman said contractors working on a sidewalk adjacent to a building caused a portion of the sidewalk to break apart, falling on top of pool cleaning supplies in a basement room of the building, which caused the leak.
The building was evacuated and officers shut down Broadway from 6th St. to 9th St.
Kansas City Fire Department crews removed four to five buckets of chlorine and fans were brought in to air out the building.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Traffic Headlines
Police are responding to reports of a wreck involving a tractor trailer on westbound I-70 just east of 40 Highway in Kansas City, Mo.