KANSAS CITY, Missouri - KCP&L has released a list of tips to stay cool and keep electricity costs lower during this dangerous heat wave.
- Seek a cool public place, such as a library or mall if they do not have an air conditioning system or fan. (You can call United Way 2-1-1 for assistance or more information about public cooling centers.)
- Close window shades, blinds, drapes and curtains whenever the sun is shining through the window to reduce warming in the home.
- Open up unused rooms. The central air conditioning system will work more efficiently.
- Use a microwave whenever possible since it uses less electricity and creates less heat than a conventional oven.
- Stay hydrated during times of extreme heat. Drink approximately eight glasses of water throughout the day.
For more tips to stay cool and save energy visit www.kcpl.com.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.