KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The first full-week of August brings with it more summertime fun, from connecting to the community in Raytown to the first ever Independence Film, Art and Music Festival. A brief listing:
Monday, Aug. 5:
- The red-hot Royals return to town for a week of games starting with a three-game set hosting the Minnesota Twins, at 7 p.m., at Kauffman Stadium, One Royal Way, Kansas City, Mo. More at www.kcroyals.com .
- Need a job? Carolyn's Country Cousins Pumpkin Patch is hosting a job fair from 4 to 7 p.m. at 17606 NE 52nd Street, Library, Mo. More info at www.carolynscountrycousins.com .
Tuesday, Aug. 6:
- Several area communities are participating in National Night Out Against Crime to connect residents with the law enforcement community. In Raytown, the event runs from 5:30-8 p.m. at Kenagy Park, 79th Street and Raytown Road in Raytown. More at www.natw.org .
- The history of the United States-Mexico border is the focus of a presentation by historian Rachel St. John at 6:30 p.m. at the Central Kansas City Library, 13 W. 10th Street, Kansas City, Mo. More at www.kclibrary.org .
Wednesday, Aug. 7:
- SeaLife Aquarium's Shark Week enters day four with a 10 a.m. event to help dispel myths about sharks and complete shark-related crafts at the aquarium, 2745 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. More at www.visitsealife.com/kansascity .
Thursday, Aug. 8:
- The first ever Independence Film, Art and Music Festival kicks off all day at the Independence Square and Englewood Arts District in Independence, Mo. More at www.iFAMFEST.com .
- Crossroads KC hosts the Yonder Mountain Band starting at 8 p.m., 417 E. 18th Street, Kansas City, Mo. More at www.crossroadskc.com .
Friday, Aug. 9:
- The third-annual Great Midwest Balloon Festival kicks off at 4 p.m. from the Great Mall of the Great Plains at 151st Street and Interstate 35 in Olathe, Kan. More at www.midwestballoonfest.org .
- Bruno Mars becomes the latest musician in a recent string of big names to grace the stage at the Sprint Center, at 7:30 p.m., 1407 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo. More at www.Sprintcenter.com .
Saturday, Aug. 10:
- Although tickets are needed ahead of time, Antiques Road Show will be at the Kansas City Convention Center at 14th and Central in Kansas City, Mo. The event runs all day.
- Sporting KC looks to maintain second-half momentum in a weekend matchup at 7:30 p.m. against the New England Revolution at Sporting Park, 1600 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, Kan. More at www.sportingkc.com .