One of the best things about this great city is our fabulous City Market. Angie Lanigan, Nutrition and Health Education Specialist and Meghan Buum, Marketing and Events Manager at the City Market showcase how to make the rounds at the City Market.
City Market Farmers' Market
Date: Every Saturday and Sunday
Location: 5th and Walnut in Downtown KC
Time: 6:00 am to 3:00 pm
Cost: FREE (except for what you buy)
Frittata, serves 8
1.5 lbs of seasonal vegetables (broccoli, carrots, turnips, bell peppers, asparagus, etc)
2 medium onions
3-4 garlic cloves
4 ounces of low fat cheddar cheese
12 med eggs
1 teaspoon dried dill, thyme, or oregano
Non-stick cooking spray
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh parsley, thyme, or basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Rinse and cut seasonal vegetables evenly into small pieces. Place vegetables in shallow bowl and steam in microwave.
3. Peel, rinse and dice onions.
4. In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs. Set aside.
5. Coat medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add steamed vegetables. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes.
6. Coat 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Layer ingredients in dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper.
8. Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. Internal temperature taken in the middle of the dish should read 160˚F.
9. If using, garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
To make individual portions, layer eggs, cheese, and veggies in a well-oiled muffin pan. Bake about 30 minutes. Portions can be frozen for future meals, up to 1 month.