Everything is better with bacon, even cocktails! Phil Carey, restaurant manager of the Dining Experience at Kauffman Center proves just that!
- 2oz of bacon fat washed Pendleton 1910
- ½ oz. of Contratto Vermouth Rosso
- 2 dashes of Peychaud’s Aromatic Bitters
- ½ oz. of heavy bacon simple syrup
- Hollow ice sphere
- Skewered cherry
- Piece of cooked bacon
- Poly Science smoking gun with cherry and hickory wood
- Fat Washing - Fat washing is a technique that infuses fat with a spirit. The fat actually binds with the alcohol on a molecular level. It leaves a rich heavy mouth feel and imparts the essence of the flavor of the fat you are using to wash with. Empty the whole 750ml bottle of Pendleton 1910 in a pitcher. Add 1.5 oz. of liquid bacon fat. You want the fat as cool as possible but still liquid. Mix the whisky, fat mixture vigorously. Put in the cooler overnight. The next day skim the solidified fat then filter the remaining mixture through a coffee filter.
- Hollow Ice Sphere - Use a 4” round ice mold. Fill with cold water. Put in freezer for 1 ½ hour and then flip upside down and freeze for another 1 ½ hours. Remove from freezer and melt a hole in the top with something metal and heated up. The size of a button will do. Drain water and put the shell back in the freezer until use.
- Pour the whisky, bacon simple and sweet vermouth over ice in a mixing tin. Add 2 dashes of bitters.
- Stir. Do not shake, it will bruise the vermouth.
- Remove the ice sphere from the freezer and place in a rocks glass with the hole facing up.
- With the smoke gun, inject smoke into the ice sphere and the cap with the skewered cherry.
- Strain cocktail over the side of the ice sphere.
- Garnish with a piece of bacon.
- Serve immediately.
- Break ice sphere to release the smoke when you serve
- Corsair Vanilla Bean Vodka
- Dizzy Three Roasterie Coffee Infused Vodka
- Condensed Milk
- Swiss Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Cinnamon Stick
- Whipped Cream Dispenser with an N2O cartridge
- Add 2 oz. of Condensed milk to dispenser.
- Fill to the max fill line with equal parts Dizzy Three, Vanilla Bean and Rumchatta
- Chill the whole container in the refrigerator.
- In a brandy snifter drizzle chocolate on the inside and on the inner sides of the snifter.
- Add cinnamon stick
- When you serve carefully fill with the dispenser, it will want to splash everywere at first if you are not gentle.
- Fill the snifter to the top. It will come out very frothy and bubbly.