KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A workout where moms exercise with their kids is all the rage in North Kansas City, Mo., and Overland Park, Kan.
The workout is called Stroller Strides. Heidee King invited me to come to their Thursday morning workout and I'm so glad I did.
They provided me with a stroller and a baby. Two-year-old Cash Russell agreed to be my workout baby-buddy. He sat in the stroller while I took him around the park with the other moms whose babies were safely secured in strollers.
We did jumping jacks and stretching, as well as lunges and squats. We ran and walked with the stroller. We even put the strollers in a circle and skipped around the circle while singing children's songs. At the end of the song we lowered a parachute over their heads.
The kids were delighted and laughing and engaged watching us workout. This is also a bonding moment for the moms in the group.
After the workout, Heidee King shared her recipe for Ricotta and Spinach Frittata. She calls it real food and real easy.
• 8 egg whites (about 1 cup)
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 cup skim milk
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
• 4 cups baby spinach
• 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
• Pinch ground nutmeg
• 2/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg and skim milk until frothy; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick frying pan on medium. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened. Add spinach to pan, in batches if necessary, and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Pour egg mixture into pan and drop ricotta by the tablespoonful over top. Cook for 3 minutes, until eggs begin to set on the bottom. Transfer pan to oven and bake for 8 minutes or until eggs are firm. Cut frittata into 4 wedges and serve immediately.