Mo. toddler dies in tragic home accident: What to look for in your home

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - St. Louis police say a 2-year-old boy died after he got caught in the cord of a mini-blind.

The accidental strangulation occurred at a home in south St. Louis when the toddler got caught in the cord when while climbing onto a window sill, according to investigators.

It is tragedies like this one local organization hopes to prevent.

The nonprofit Charlie's House was created after a Kansas City toddler died when a dresser fell onto him.

Volunteers say accidents in the home can often be prevented, but a parent would have to know about the threat and possible prevention techniques.

In the case of the mini-blind cord, newer window treatments aren't sold with looped cords, but older ones can still have them. Experts say if you have window treatment cords with any kind of loop, you should cut them. You can also buy products to coil cords up high. The products can be found at places like Toys R Us, Target or Walmart for a few dollars.

There are all kinds of ways to make a home more secure. For a checklist to use while walking through your home, check out Charlie's House website and Charlie's Checklist .

Print this article Back to Top

Comments