For American Jews, anyway, it's traditional to go out for Chinese food and a movie on Christmas Day.
But what if you aren't celebrating the holiday with family and you want to eat out, but you aren't in the mood for Chinese food? Thankfully, the Kansas City area has many other ethnic restaurants run by non-Christians – Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists – that will be open on Sunday, Dec. 25.
Rosa Keodara, a waitress at Bangkok Pavilion, 7249 W. 97 th St., (bangkokpavilionkc.com) said Christmas Day diners at the 24-year-old Overland Park Thai restaurant are usually a mix of Asian and North American natives "who don't want to cook."
Several other ethnic restaurants will be open Christmas Day, including:
- Alladin Café, 3903 Wyoming St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-5982, alladincafeonline.com.
- Flavor of India, 12112 W. 87 th St., Lenexa, Kan., (913) 888-8040, flavorofindiakc.com. (lunch only, 11:30 a.m. –2:30 p.m.)
- Kababesh Grill, 10142 W. 119th St., Overland Park, Kan., (913) 696-1101, kababeshgrill.net.
- Korma Sutra, 4113 Pennsylvania Ave., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 931-7775, and 7217 W. 110th St., Overland Park, Kan., (913) 345-8774, kckormasutra.net.
- Olive Café, 9510 James A. Reed Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 763-0009.
- Pho KC, 315 Cherry St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 471-2224
- Ruchi, 11168 Antioch Road, Overland Park, Kan., (913) 661-9088, ruchicuisine.com.
- Sharazad Café & Market, 12605 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Kan., (913) 338-2250, sharazadcafe.com.
- Taj Mahal, 7521 Wornall Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 361-1722, kctajmahal.com.