Mission veterinarian issues warning to pet owners decorating for the holidays

MISSION, Kan. - A Mission, Kan., veterinarian has seen the joy of the holidays turn tragic because of pets ingesting holiday decorations.

Stephanie Henshaw of the Dearborn Animal is warning pet owners to decorate with their pets in mind so that those pets do not get sick.

"Shiny tinsel, garland and holiday light strands are a serious danger," Henshaw said. "If pets chew and swallow the tinsel or wiring, it can cause digestive problems that require surgery and if the pet does not get treated right away, it could die."

"Some of your typical ornaments and decorations can get lodged into the intestines," Henshaw added.

The styrofoam balls covered with glitter and paint are also toxic to animals as well as poinsettias.

"I recommend using fake trees because the water in the tree stand is toxic and it's very possible that your pets will get to it and drink it," Henshaw said.

Henshaw added that if your pet experiences vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy, you should contact your veterinarian or the Animal poison Control Center. The number to call is 1-888-426-4435.

You can reach the ASPCA on their home page by clicking,  http://www.aspca.org/

Print this article Back to Top

Comments