KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Nearly 30 percent of Americans will be traveling this Memorial Day weekend, but many plan to stay fairly close to home.
That's according to TripAdvisor, which has identified five popular getaways based on recently top-searched travel spots by Kansas City locals on TripAdvisor.com.
Here are the top five, all of which are within 300 miles:
1. Branson, Mo. (approx. 3 hours)
2. Omaha, Neb. (approx. 3 hours)
3. Eureka Springs, Ark. (approx. 4 hours)
4. Tulsa, Okla. (approx. 4 hours)
5. Topeka, Kan. (approx. 1 hour)
Despite high gas prices, the travel website says 1/3 of Americans will be traveling for the holiday weekend and half of those will drive to their destination.
As of Monday, gas prices in the metro have risen 12 cents per gallon from the week before.
The most popular day for travelers to hit the road is Friday.