An outdated kitchen can be a sore thumb in an otherwise beautiful home. Angie's List has 5 simple projects that will help beautify and modernize your kitchen.
- Remodel kitchen cabinets and shelves: A completely new set of cabinets can be very expensive, but homeowners can hire a contractor to update, not replace, shelves inexpensively. Some common updates include adding slide-out shelves, Lazy Susans, drawers and new hardware. Painting or refacing the outside of the cabinets is also an aesthetically pleasing idea.
- Install a new counter top: Some home builders will charge much more than $500 for a new counter installation. However, because the installation can take place in a single day, homeowners may be able to find a contractor who will charge a reasonable rate for this upgrade. But, to keep this upgrade under $500, homeowners must choose inexpensive materials.
- Update the faucets:A new kitchen faucet is a small addition, but it can change the look of a kitchen, making it appear more modern or refined. However, homeowners should be aware that new faucets may call for a unified look. Depending on the quality and the material, you can also purchase a new kitchen sink for less than $60.
- Install new lighting: Lights that are too bright can give the kitchen a glaring, unfriendly look. Light that is too soft can make it hard to work. However, homeowners may want to consider installing several types of lights, including a light over the sink for dish washing, a light over the stove for cooking, and perhaps a chandelier or wall sconce for a brighter, but still soft, main light source.
- Add a garbage disposal or trash compactor: These appliances are relatively inexpensive and can be installed by most home builders. However, they can go a long way in making a kitchen more modern and practical.