KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Weekend tornados serve as a reminder to all of us that our homes can suffer severe damage in the blink of an eye.
Unfortunately, too many times following storms, scam artists usually travel to the storm ravaged areas to offer up their services; offering everything from home repair, tree trimming and debris removal. They usually do a shady job or just take your money and run.
Here are some tips to remember before you hire anyone following a storm:
- Be wary of anyone who solicits work door-to-door.
- Beware of those who want you to decide immediately or want you to pay upfront.
- When choosing a contractor, ask for referrals from people you trust.
- Try to do business with local companies. You want to be able to find them in case problems pop up.
- Ask for proof of certification and insurance.
- Agree on start and completion dates and put them in the contract.
Hail storms create a lot of roof damage. One year ago this month, Kansas passed a law requiring roofers who do business in the state to register. As consumers, you can find out if a roofer is able to do business by going to the attorney general's website.