Find out if you are due money from the IRS

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - You might be able to reclaim cash from, of all places, the Internal Revenue Service. The federal agency reports $760 million of unclaimed refunds belongs to taxpayers who didn't file their 2010 returns.

In order to see if you are due, you must file a 2010 return no later than Tuesday, April 15 of this year. If a tax return isn't filed within three years, the money becomes the property of the U.S. Treasury.

In Kansas, 9,300 taxpayers didn't file their 2010 return. The IRS reports $6,986,000 in unclaimed returns in the Sunflower state, which breaks down to $522 per person.  In Missouri, 17,900 taxpayers didn't file. $13,153,000 totals the unclaimed refunds or $514 per person.

"That doesn't include any credits they might be eligible for like the earned income tax credit,” said Michael Devine, the IRS regional spokesman. “The average benefit in Kansas was $2,100 and in Missouri was $2,200.”

Past year tax forms can be found at the IRS website, or you can call 1-800-829-3676.  If you are missing forms like W-2’s, request copies from your employer, banks or other payers. Also, go to, under “Tools” click on Get Transcript of Your Tax Records.

Print this article Back to Top