KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The summer travel season is here. It's the best time for you and your family to get away, unplug and unwind. But the cost of that family vacation can quickly add up.
The Better Business Bureau offers up several tips on ways to save:
- Set a budget and stick to it. Make sure you plan in advance.
- Do a little homework. Check out your vacation spot's local Chamber of Commerce website for ideas on things to do.
- Get the most bang for your buck by planning activities in advance.
- If possible, consider vacationing in the off-season. Remember, prices are often a lot lower
- Finally, make a trip short and sweet. Instead of a pricey two week summer vacation, plan a long weekend getaway or two.
To avoid being scammed, the Federal Trade Commission recommends you should limit what you bring with you. Only take an ID, credit card and debit cards you need. Click here for more safety tips .