Kansas City man, 18, charged in KCATA bus driver assault

Suspect told police he was 'having a bad day'

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas City, Mo., man has been charged with assaulting a Metro bus driver.

Michael Cubie, 18, faces a felony charge of assault with intent to commit bus hijacking and a misdemeanor charge of assault in the third degree, according to a statement released by the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office.

Cubie was arraigned on Tuesday. He has another court hearing on Oct. 25 at 9 a.m.

According to law enforcement officials, the driver was punched in the face around 9 p.m. on Monday at 39th and Indiana in Kansas City, Mo. He sustained serious injuries from the blow and was knocked unconscious.

Surveillance video from different cameras caught the assault in detail.

RELATED | Video shows assault of KC bus driver http://bit.ly/Px2bDv

Mark Huffer, KCATA general manager, first saw the video on Tuesday. 

"Our understanding is the youth that were in that video did not pay their fare," he said.

Several witnesses who were with Cubie told police they did not pay and were asked by the driver to exit the bus.

Cubie was heard saying, "On my dead homies. I'm going to hit the bus driver in his face."

Cubie then assaulted the driver on his way off the bus, according to police.

Authorities said Cubie admitted to not paying bus fare and punching the driver. Cubie said the reason he punched the victim was because he was having a bad day, according to police.

READ | Probable Cause Statement: http://tinyurl.com/9h4y9tx

Cubie is being held on a $10,000 bond.

The bus driver went back to work on Thursday, but Huffer said the driver even wanted to continue his route right after the assault.

Ninety percent of the buses have at least eight cameras inside and out. The newer units can hold up to three weeks' worth of video, and some even record audio.

"I'm assuming that youth that assaulted our operator Monday never gave thought to cameras being on the bus," Huffer said.

This is the first time Police are using the KCATA video records to investigate an assault of a metro member.

Print this article Back to Top