OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - Two Shawnee Mission schools are off the chopping block but one will shut its doors at the end of this year.
School board members started Monday’s meeting by taking the possible closing of Antioch and Mission Valley middle schools off the agenda.
The board also delayed making any decisions on closing any other middle schools in the district.
Decisions on boundary changes for Ray Marsh and Broken Arrow elementary schools have also been delayed.
The board did vote to close Dorothy Moody Elementary at the end of the 2011-12 school year.
Other plans that came up for votes:
- The board voted unanimously to reassign some students from Mill Creek Elementary to Benninghoven Elementary beginning with the next school year.
- Also approved unanimously was the proposal to reassign Roesland Elementary from the Shawnee Mission East High School attendance area to Shawnee Mission North.
- The board rejected - on a 4-3 vote - the proposal to reassign a portion of the Trailwood Elementary attendance area from Shawnee Mission East to Shawnee Mission South.
- The board voted unanimously to reassign the portion of the Bluejacket-Flint Elementary attendance area west of Quivira Road from Shawnee Mission Northwest to North.
- The proposal to reassign Brookwood Elementary from Shawnee Mission East to South failed when nobody seconded a motion to vote on it.