KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Crispina Raya’s newly-renovated home was severely damaged by a fire that started in a vacant house next door Thursday.
It happened around 8 a.m. near 27th Street and Belleview in Kansas City, Mo., just a few blocks from Southwest Boulevard.
Neighbors told us the fire started in a vacant home, and then spread to her home next door. They said Raya's home had just been renovated by her church.
She has lived there for more than 30 years. When firefighters arrived, Raya was still sitting on her porch. She told medics she did not want to leave her home.
"My pictures, my family pictures," Raya explained, "Everything in there means something to me."
She tells us she does not have any insurance.
"I don't have money to fix it. I wish I had money to fix it," she elaborated choking back tears.
A few members of Raya's church and neighbors were at the scene and offered to help in any way they can.
Dominic Enriquez says he's known Raya since he was a baby. Now 42, he elaborated how much she means to the neighborhood.
"When it rains, it pours. It's a sad thing because this lady has been around here for a lot of years. She's just on social security so it's sad."