Brothers save family and home from fire

SHAWNEE, Kan. - Two boys saved a home and family inside, and they're only seven and eight years old.

Chris Knopf spent years adding on to his home for his growing family.

"We've been working on it a long time plus working full time trying to make a living and trying to add on to the house at the same time," explained Knopf.

But Saturday night, all that work almost went up in smoke.

A fire broke out from the wood-burning stove and two young kids, Damien and Daryn Duncan, saw it happen and acted quickly.

"I got really shocked and I was like, 'Oh no, what do I gotta do now. I might as well tell my brother so he can tell someone else,'" Damien said.

Then Daryn explained, "My brother told me and I just got into the house and told my mom."

Damien and Daryn were next door at their grandmother's house.

It was past their bedtime, but it was just in the nick of time.

"Yeah, everything happens for a reason and I believe that God wanted my two boys to be out here in the cold while my car was started to see that fire and be able to help this family," said Brandi Young, the boys' mom.

The family didn't know their home caught fire, and in a few more minutes the house could have been a total loss.

"If you look at it, it's not finished. There are no fire blocks, we don't have sheetrock, there's no insulation, so it would have gone up very fast. In 15 minutes the whole side of that would have been on fire, it would have been quick," Knopf said.

The family has already patched up the damage and it's only expected to cost about $1,500 to repair.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments