Careless smoking to blame for KCK apartment fire

KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Careless smoking is to blame for an apartment fire in Kansas City, Kan. Saturday morning.

Fire crews responded to a call just before 10 a.m. at the University Plaza Apartments, located in the 4100 block of Booth Ave. There they found smoke and fire showing from the top floor of the six-plex apartment building.

Crews say the fire started on the deck area of a third-floor apartment unit, after one of the occupants discarded smoking material into a trash bag.

Four of the units sustained water damage. Building damages are estimated at $50,500.

No injuries were reported.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments