Anhydrous ammonia leak in Platte Co. capped

PLATTE CO., Mo. - Hazmat crews responded to the scene of a tank leaking anhydrous ammonia on Thursday in southwest Platte County. Just after 2:30 p.m., the valve was capped and the leak was stopped.

The 800-gallon tank is located in a field near N. Farley Road and Humphrey’s Road, just a quarter-mile west of Farley. Roads in the area are closed, according to a tweet by Southern Platte Fire Chief Richard Carrizzo.

A vapor cloud has been reported over the area. Evacuations are recommended within a half-mile radius of the tank. 

Anhydrous ammonia comes in either a liquid or gas form that is corrosive to tissues upon contact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It’s used in manufacturing, refrigeration, and agriculture, such as fertilizer.

Ammonia can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, ingestion, eye contact, and skin contact.

At this time, no injuries have been reported. The leak, apparently caused by a broken valve, went on for about an hour before crews were able to cap the valve.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments