OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - Mold remediation companies in Kansas City tell 41 Action News they're swamped with calls. The rain and humidity are only making things worse for folks in the metro dealing with mold.
In the Kansas City metro, hundreds of basements have been covered in mold spores this summer.
Patrick Murphy of AHA - Mold Busters LLC in Independence says mold grows in all colors: White, green, black and blue -- and this summer, he has seen them all.
Murphy spends his days in dark, damp basements and these past few months, Murphy has been working overtime to keep up with triple the amount of calls.
Murphy tells 41 Action News he hasn't seen a summer like this in more than a decade, and unfortunately, all this rain and humidity means mold isnt going away anytime soon.
"It's a living organism, so it can basically reproduce faster than like bamboo," Murphy elaborated.
Once you find one spore, it can multiply repeatedly until a basement is covered.
Murphy pointed his flashlight into the air in a basement in Overland Park revealing white specks drifting up into the air. He says since mold weighs the same amount as air, this is a test you can do at home to see if mold is growing on your walls. The particles that float are mold, the ones that fall are dust. He also says mold tends to attract more spiders than usual. It's easiest to find mold in the dark while shining a flashlight on the surfaces.
Murphy says the moment you spot mold, you need to get it looked at before it makes you sick.
"This is actually the guideline set out by the EPA, if you can see it or smell it, it should be a concern," he stressed.
Unfortunately, getting rid of mold isn't cheap. It costs most homeowners around $3,000 to have it professionally removed. Mold screening costs around $75-$100. To send mold into a lab to get it tested and to see if it poses a health threat costs around $350.
If you don't currently have mold in your house, Murphy says you can keep your home protected now. Check your gutters and keep them clean. Most times, rain seeps into your house because the gutters weren't cleaned or the water is able to seep in through the foundation.