Firefighters pull 2 sisters from burning home in KCMO
Syed Shabbir , Lisa Benson
5:05 AM, Dec 27, 2013
8:11 PM, Dec 27, 2013
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Two sisters are in the hospital after being pulled from their burning home. It happened just before midnight Thursday near E. 69th St. and Holmes Rd. in Kansas City, Mo.
According to authorities the girls, ages 15 and 5, were home alone when the fire started. The older sister had called 911 and told dispatchers that she was having trouble breathing. Dispatchers said the girl never told them the house was on fire. It wasn't until first responders got to the scene that they realized the home was on fire.
Fire Chief Paul Berardi said when firefighters entered the house they heard a faint scream from the back of the house. When they reached the back of the house they found the older sister laying on top of the younger sister in a protective position. Firefighters later said the fact the girls were on the floor might have helped save their lives.
Both girls were unresponsive, but first responders intubated the girls and rushed them to Children's Mercy Hospital.
As of 3 p.m. Friday, both girls remained in critical condition. According to fire investigators, the fire started in the kitchen when food was left on the stove overnight.