KANSAS CITY, Kan. - One location of one of Kansas City's most iconic barbecue joints will be closed indefinitely after an overnight fire.
Authorities were called to Gates Bar-B-Q, 1026 State Ave., in Kansas City, Kan., around 12 a.m. Wednesday.
The fire was contained mostly to the smokestack and the attic. Crews had to tear down the smokestack.
The Wyandotte County Health Department will come to the restaurant sometime Wednesday morning.
Fire crews estimated the blaze caused about $100,000 in damage.
Nobody was injured. The cause of the fire appeared to be unintentional, according to a release from the Kansas City Kansas Fire Department.
Gates, which has been serving barbecue in Kansas City since 1946, has five other restaurants on both sides of the state line.